Thursday, February 9, 2012

Snow Day

Gianni, the Northern European dialect English speaking Italian Dean of Students, interrupted Italian class today to say tomorrow's lesson is cancelled because there is a chance of heavy snow. (Gianni is one of the coolest people I know. I want to be best friends with him. I've told this to other students and based on their reactions I think everyone thinks this. The official forecast, which is always reported on TV by a member of the Italian Air Force, calls for a slushy mix, low of 33 degrees. Maximum possible accumulation for this weekend is less than 1 inch. The overreaction by Romans when it comes to weather is one of the most extreme things I've seen. Everything in Rome will be closed this weekend. Everything. Me and my friends will likely catch a train to Florence tonight. We decided it would be better to be in Florence if nothing is open than in Rome. I'm not clear on the logic involved, or if any logic was even used in making this decision. We will still be going to Venice on Saturday morning, regardless of whether the Florence trip happens.

Last night I watched Juventus play A.C. Milan with Federico. Juve is Fede's favorite team. They play in Torino I believe They beat Milan, one of the world's top teams, 2-1. Soccer isn't my favorite sport, but I think it's the most exciting to watch because there are very few goals scored. It's a game of anticipation. Scoring a goal is hard. It's a near miracle that anyone is able to score in soccer. When Juve scored with eight minutes left, he ran around in celebration.

I'm hanging out at Alex and Tally's apartment. They live with 4 other guys in The Prati. There is a tailor on the first floor of their building. She speaks no English, but she has already tailored two of pairs of pants for Tally. She does a mean hem.

Tonight is dinner with the family again. Last night was salad with salt and olive oil. Very fresh. Gnocchi Semolina (Roman style Gnocchi) was good. I had never had gnocchi before. We also had some egg dish thing.

Ciao Ciao Arrivederci! (Italians always say bye many times in many different ways.)

No comments:

Post a Comment