Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Feb. 2

Giovanna just took Federico to school. Last night we had dinner around 9 p.m. Rice, something "better than spinach" and salad. It wasn't fancy but it was still really good. I don't think Giovanna ever eats out at restaurants. Actually, I'm not sure if anyone does. Federico's friend, Federico (we'll call him Federico 2), was picked up by his dad last night and he said they never go out to eat either. I guess no one but tourists use these restaurants. Federico 2's dad was pacing around while yelling at someone on his hand's free iPhone. I haven't the foggiest what he was saying, but it was hilarious. This morning Giovanna made coffee in a moka pot. It was... different. Not bad though. I don't think very many food items are bought that she doesn't prepare herself, which is probably good. I still can't figure out how to upload pictures, but once I do, I have some pretty good ones. I have orientation today from 9-5. Tomorrow and all next week I have Intensive Italian from 1-6 p.m. Giovanna claims she doesn't speak English very well, but she does. Claudio, her boyfriend, speaks very well. He has been to America several times, "but once to Oregon. A weird place that is. Portland? My god!! It was great but it wasn't really America, was it??" His best friend is the head of the Architecture Department at Iowa State University. Claudio is an architecture professor here at Rome Due. He looks exactly like you would expect an Italian professor to appear. He eats with more passion and intensity than anyone I have seen. It was practically theatre. Tonight Giovanna is cooking Spaghetti Carbonara with Artichoke. Claudio was very happy that Giovanna cooks artichoke "the correct way. Not the way the Roman Judaism people cook! They know nothing of Artichokes!!"

I was in shock the first few hours I was here. I woke up a few times last night completely disoriented. I need to buy an alarm clock and some credit for my phone. It will be nice to talk with other Americans when I get to school. Apparently, I'm just like all other Americans, in that I "talk way too fast. Americans should try to talk like the Brits. They have a great rhythm in their speaking," said Claudio.

Claudio is walking me to school. Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment