Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Feb. 21

Low 60's here in Rome. With sun. Finally felt like spring. My early class with the really good professor took us on a walk through the neighborhood by our school. (Technically all teachers here are instructors, so the elderly lady who teaches Roman architecture will now be known as The Professor. She is the only teacher here good enough to profess at the U of I. She's awesome.) The Professor pointed out so many things that most Romans probably don't even know. For example, there is a building with artwork from 700 years ago two blocks from my school. One of the only buildings in Rome to have it. We went on several streets, a few of which have been in use for 1000 years. Gianni's class was alright. I'm going to the Forum with him Thursday. Tomorrow I have a field study at a church in Trastevere for my Renaissance class. Thursday is also my Economics class. So far I've answered every question in the class. It's pretty annoying. There are two other Econ majors in there but they must not have paid attention in Intermediate Macroeconomics class. This class is pretty much Remedial Macroeconomics.

On the way back from school I went by Gio's favorite bakery. Goodness gracious they have good bread. I ate a slice with olive oil right when I got back. Then I ate three more. Amazing. I also got some potato and olive oil pizza. Just warmed it up and inhaled it. Pretty thick. Very good. Tonight I'm going to Paige and Ali's apartment to cook/eat dinner.

Late last night me and Tally got a trip to Amalfi Coast booked. We're leaving early Friday morning on a slow train to Naples. From the train station, we will ride in a private van to Pompei, take a self-guided tour for 2-3 hours, then the driver will take us to our hostel in Atrani. We will be there two nights, in 2 private rooms. The weather will supposedly be mid-60's and sunny. Prefect. I'm bringing shorts. Also, our spring break trip is starting to take shape. I'm hoping I just go with 3 or 4 people. Too many people can be a major hassle. Tentatively, we will take a train to Bari, a ferry to Croatia, stay in Croatia for 2 nights. Then fly to the Greek Isles for 3-5 days. Go to Athens (if it's standing) for a day, and then fly to Istanbul. I'm most excited for Istanbul. I read an article in either the NYT or WSJ about how it's becoming the Paris of Eastern Europe. From Istanbul we will fly back to Roma. The time spent in certain cities and countries will likely change, but we have from Thursday evening to the next Sunday night. Hopefully we wake up in Croatia Friday.

I'll probably skip out on Tally and Alex's Barcelona trip. I need to make my pilgrimage to Switzerland for the scenery and fondue. I've decided not to ski because it's too expensive, and the Swiss Alps don't have many bunny hills for a novice like myself.



Amalfi Coast

No comments:

Post a Comment