Friday, February 10, 2012

The Michelle Obama Effect

Tonight I am going to Cacio e Pepe, a restaurant in Prati which is supposed to be good. One thing that makes Italian restaurants, and perhaps all non-American restaurants, very different is their lack of doggie bags. A couple times I have been told by a friendly waitress that I couldn't have my check until I ate all my food. Some pizza places will let you take home leftovers, but that seems to be the only exception. Italians never thought about this; it's just the way it was. This issue has since come into the spotlight after Michelle Obama asked for a doggie bag on a trip to Italy. It was huge news and has made the Italians realize how wasteful it is to throw out food. If it were someone other than the first lady, it might not have had as big of an impact. The Italians I've met are very interested in politics, and for the most part they seem to really like the Obamas. Mario Monti is currently in Washington D.C. I'm not sure how many Americans now this, but every Italian knows it. It has been the lead story the past three nights. Nothing has been done since the doggie bag incident, and I don't expect anything to change anytime soon.

Earlier today I planned trips with other Americans. I have a general understanding of where and when I'll be going. I'm about to pack and head over to Tally and Alex's to eat dinner and spend the night so we can all go to the train station tomorrow. We leave for Venice at 6:45am. I have heard the Grand Canal is frozen over. The weather most likely won't be good. I reckon I'll have to go back to Venice when the weather is warmer. I'm traveling very light, so you may not hear from me for a few days.

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment