Wednesday, April 18, 2012

London (cont.)


Piccadilly Circus


The "Full English Breakfast" complete with tea.

British Museum

Inside

Rosetta Stone


Easter Island

2012 Medals

View from top of double decker

Me

Vintage London cab

Liverpool St Station

Hot Cross Buns and a nice maple and vanilla breakfast smoothie

This post has been a long time coming. I don't think I had the time to write about London, but good grief was it great. From the minute we stepped off the Stansted Express and onto an Underground train (where I should've "Minded the gap" a little more), I was in love. London isn't a particularly exotic city. You could even say it's the least exotic city there is. Everything seems natural and normal. There isn't much out of place or much missing. It's perfectly livable. I should mention that I haven't visited the two other cities that are usually lumped into this category: New York City and Paris. But nevertheless, London seemed perfect. It was clean - maybe because of the upcoming Olympics, accessible, and fun. The corkiness of the inward facing passenger compartments of the cabs, the double decker buses, those ridiculous accents was almost too much to handle without periodically laughing to myself. Every store and restaurant, and I mean every store and restaurant, had immaculate signage. To think, a city that loves typography as much as me; we're perfect for each other. The Underground system was so efficient and complete that we could've seen the famous sites without having really seen much in between. I'm a huge fan of public transportation, and in that category, London gets an A+. I can't imagine the need for a personal car in London. Maybe that's why it's justifiable to enforce a congestion tax within the inner city. Congestion taxes... what a perfect way to entice economists and want-to-be economists, such as myself, to move there. London was great. Not great in an exotic, Istanbul, call to prayer way, but in an efficient, this-makes-sense way. I enjoyed it so much I started researching grad schools in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment