Wednesday, April 4, 2012

April 4

You may have noticed I didn't have time to finish London or write about Tuscany at all. But I'm already T-minus two hours from leaving for Ciampino Airport where I'll hop on my last Ryanair flight for the foreseeable future. They're cheap enough to make the extra hassle and extra uncomfortableness worth it though.

I've heard everyone who goes to Budapest loves it. I'm sure I will too. But, I'm most excited for Istanbul. Istanbul straddles the European-Asian border, as many of you probably know. I'll officially be able to say I have stepped foot in Asia after this spring break, even if I barely puncture its border. That's not the reason I'm excited, however. Istanbul has really come alive in the past decade and has been dubbed by someone in the Wall Street Journal as "The Paris of Eastern Europe." Sounds great to me. On Santorini the Grecian waters will be too cold for swimming. Instead we plan to take a day trip to Crete, rent a sailboat (well, Tally "The Skipper," will be renting one), and also rent scooters to ride up the coast to Oia, where we'll watch the sunset. I'll take many pictures. In Athens I'll put my coursework in the classical civilizations to use. I can still picture the ancient layout of the city from all four of the courses I have taken on mythology, the Greek tragedies, and ancient Greek culture. I'll be back on the 15th of April.

I'm very excited. I must go now, Giovanna is calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment