Thursday, April 19, 2012

April 19 II

This blog was probably much more interesting at the beginning of the semester when everything I did was new and exciting and I felt the need to let the world (maybe 25 people) know what I was doing. But luckily for those who miss how this blog used to be, there something is happening in my apartment right now that is too funny and remarkable not to post about.

I've been reading online newspapers (NYT: $.99 for 8 weeks? How can you say no?), watching Mad Men, and reading Freedom by Jonathan Franzen all day. But about 20 minutes ago a rambunctious group of five Italian boys made their way home from school and made my day a lot more exciting. They immediately went to the kitchen. Thankfully I had some water boiling to make tea, which gave me the perfect excuse to watch the incredible phenomenon that is little Italian boys cooking. The dish was one of the most Roman ones I know of: Pasta carbonara. They might be even more opinionated than their mothers. Each was giving insight into how many eggs, how much cheese, and which kind of cheese best fit the type of pasta they were using. A scrum erupted from the bickering with one boy being pushed out of the circle. Don't feel sorry for him; he's now playing XBox. They took turns beating the eggs but honestly none of them were doing a particularly noteworthy job of this. To see a group of small Italian boys cook is hilarious. They have the same mannerism as their parents but much more exaggerated. They are quick to give their opinions based solely on what they think their own mothers do. None of them are probably completely correct, but I'm sure it'll end up being great anyway since all food in Italy tastes better. Not because of the methods necessarily, but because, as I noted once, their ingredients are much much better. If you don't believe me I can take a picture of an egg yoke for you. You've never seen one so  orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment