Thursday, March 29, 2012

London

The coolest thing we did was attend Evensong at Westminster Abbey. It was about an hour long and was attended mostly by European teenagers on tour groups, but also a few London businessmen. The choir boys and men entered as part of the ceremony and sat about four seats down from where I was. They can sing, and they can sing well. I sat in the second seat of the second row of the choir area. Here's a nice little picture of the royal wedding. The choir was on both side in the middle third of the seating area. I'm the red arrow.

(You can click on the pictures to enlarge if you haven't figured that out yet.)


I knew I'd like London, but I didn't think I would like it nearly as much as I did. Everything, and I mean everything, is perfectly lit and labeled. The food containers, restaurant windows, street signs, buses... they all look perfect. Everything is well marked and in great fonts. I didn't know it was possible for a city to be so conscientious about typography. We're perfect for each other.

7 dials

Trafalgar Square. Big Ben in distance



Horse Guard

This dude leaned into pictures. Very friendly.










Nicely dressed Englishmen, with my travel companions Max and Alec on the left being tourists.


10 Downing Street







"I think this is part of Westminster Abbey" - My brain, for about 20 seconds



London Eye




The River Thames








The real Westminster Abbey




I think this is a clock hat measures the angle of the sun. Since it was a few days after an equinox, it's nearly parallel to the lines you see on the top left.

WA

No pictures were allowed in Westminster Abbey since it was a service. It was an awesome experience. The little leaflet said Evensong has been performed every day for over 1000 years.

That night we went to a sports bar to watch the first half of the UIndiana basketball game. Alex goes there and is friends with a couple of the players. We went to bed pretty late.

Day 2

Woke up at 8 and left by 8:30. Took the tube to the St. Paul station. I knew St. Paul's is one of the most famous churches in the world, but we had no idea what it looked like. There was a modest looking church at the top of the tube station stairs. They asked if it was St. Paul's. I was a little confused. I knew it had to be bigger than that. We walked around the corner and saw a church that made much more sense.








Millenium Bridge

Looking in the direction of White Hall and the royal areas.

Other direction. You can make out Tower Bridge in the distance.



The financial center of London (and Europe). Called "The City."

Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. Real one burned down.



The famous London Bridge did not fall down this day. Rather plain and insignificant looking








Don't yield, but give way.

Tower of London



Massive bird. 



Where executions used to occur.

Those pesky Brits stashed their Crown Jewels here. No pics.




9 year old King Edward's armor






















Day 3







The Economist Building. My dream job.



Not done...

No comments:

Post a Comment