Wednesday, March 7, 2012

America

Something I've noticed about Italy that I didn't think I'd see this much of is the idolization of American culture. Italians who are subjected to tourists everyday are genuinely excited to talk to Americans. They know so much about our popular culture that talking to us makes them feel closer, I assume. When riding in a taxi, you're more likely to hear American music than Italian music. When a commercial for any product that is marketed as hi-tech or new is on TV: American music. I've even seen George Clooney touting products while speaking Italian. If you aren't in tourist areas, and you happen upon a friendly storekeeper, you're likely to get asked where in America you're from. The answer is always, "Oh, wow! I'd love to go there!" followed by a single reference to your hometown, which is probably common in American too. The references Americans get here are probably just as ridiculous as those given to Italians in America. If I tell an inquisitive local where I'm from, "Illinois" is always met with an unsure nod. For this reason, I'm a proud son of the city of Chicago.

Some other things I've seen or heard related to America:

  • Clothing brands actually from America throw it in your face (and are much more expensive). Examples: The Gap has "Est. San Francisco" written in larger font than the store's sign. As does Levi's, which is pronounced "leeves" since Italians don't like to change their pronunciation for foreign words. Tommy Hilfiger brags about being *the* East Coast clothing line, something not many in America would think.
  • Clothing brands NOT actually from America, still might throw America in your face. I walked by a store claiming it was from Chicago. It obviously wasn't. Another store had denim styles named after the prestigious cities of Milwaukee, Albuquerque and Detroit.
  • I saw an Italian man in his 30s wearing a shirt donning the American flag with a matching American flag scarf.
  • Last night in Prati I walked by a bedding store with an entire American flag bed set.
  • A man on the train from Rome to Florence thought New York City and Chicago were a short 45 minute drive from each other.
  • EVERYONE loves Obama.
  • The only things about America that Italians don't like might be the students who study abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment