Saturday, May 19, 2012

Tivoli

I went to Tivoli with my Architecture class a couple weekends ago. Tivoli and the Anio River are where the majority of the ancient Roman Aqueducts were sourced from (7 of the 9), as I learned from my archaeology report. Our purpose, rather, was to see the Emperor Hadrian's old, modest ranch house. The most interesting aspect of Hadrian is that he is never simply called Hadrian. It's always "The Emperor Hadrian." Why? There were dozens of emperors. "The Emperor Julius Caesar"? No. Back on track... we also saw the Renaissance Palace which looks straight west towards Rome. When the sun is fading you can see the cupola of St. Peter's against the horizon. But looking east from Gianicolo, you can't really see where Tivoli should be. Quite the mystery. I'm sure a simple 30-second Google search would enlighten us all, but I don't care enough. The palace was charming. By the Renaissance the Romans had learned how to move water much more effectively and were capable of constructing pretty tall fountains. There ain't nothin like water.

There isn't much else to say that the pictures won't describe better.

Hadrian's digs



Sorry... THE EMPEROR HADRIAN'S DIGS



Incredible detail, these guys




His throne. Gimme a break, Hady.





 Italy.


Barbara. Poor woman hurt her knee and couldn't show us around the Renaissance Palace. The word palace, by the way, comes from "Palatine." The old Imperial Palace(s) were located on the Palatine Hill, just a short 10 minutes walk from il mio apartmento. I may start referencing how close things are, not to brag, but for my own benefit. It's weird to be so close to all these ancient, influential places. Well it's weird because I'll be leaving soon. I better not forget this when I'm older.















Rome!



No comments:

Post a Comment